Seeking Gold Plating of Busbar

2001

LOOKING FOR A FINISHER THAT CAN HANDLE SELECTIVE GOLD PLATING ON AN ALUMINUM BAR .5" X 4" X 65". TO MIL SPEC MIL-G-45204 TYPE 1 CLASS 3. QTY OF 3 pieces BUT MAY BE LARGER VOLUMES LATER. PARTS WILL BE EPOXY POWDER COATED BEFORE PLATING.

TOM HARKINS
- ROCHESTER, New York USA

2001

I have never heard of plating aluminum with gold. I assume it can be done, but have no help to offer. My company silver flashes copper busbar, so my curiosity is aroused as to the purpose for this coated product. Is it purely for electrical/electronic reasons, or also partially for "show"?

W. Carl Erickson
- Rome, New York

2001

Hello Tom,

One process you may consider is Brush electroplating. The brush plating process is used quite often for selective plating on smaller areas of larger parts.

Plating gold onto aluminum (with a nickel) is also done quite often, usually for the purpose of conductivity or grounding.

In addition, the brush plating process will not hurt the finish or function of any typical powder coating surfaces.

If you would like more information, I would invite you to view our web site.

Chris Helwig
- Valencia, California