Dulled Bath Enamel

(2001)

The enamel on the lower inner portion of my cast-iron bath has become dull. It appears to be coated with a deposit. We live in hard water area but have had a water softener for some years, importantly, I believe, before this problem arose. Are there any materials available that I might use to overcome this problem?

Tony Crees
- Hook, Hants, UK

(2002)

I came across your query today and wonder if I could have more information. What colour was the deposit? We have been investigating a few enamel baths where a deposit or staining has appeared in conjunction with a water softener, and are collecting information to try and solve the problem.

Mary Taylor
Vitreous Enamel Association - Warrington, Cheshire, UK