How Can I Remove PVC

(2001)

I need to remove PVC an unknown substrate (it may be Alum.) it is a swipe card to open locks and has a computer chip in it. Acetone works but leaves a film on it, that has to be removed by hand. I am looking for something that can be washed off with water. I have tried MC stripper but it eats up the chip.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Joel R. Cotton
- Buffalo, New York

(2001)

Joel,

I wasn't going to answer this as my original thought was why in the heck doesn't he use a PVC solvent, but thought that this is too powerful a solvent to use in this case (but if you do, buy the PVC cement primer (THF i.e., tetrahydrofurane) that is NOT tinted blue but is colourless).

You had mentioned that Acetone does a so-so job. Why not another polar solvent? Maybe MEK / methyl ethyl ketone (the solvent for ABS) which is not so powerful as THF or perhaps trichlorethylene?

There is no water based solvent for PVC.

Cheers