Electrolysis of Water Experiment

(2001)

Q. I have an experiment with electrolysis to separate water into its parts-2 hydrogen for every 1 oxygen- but I can't count the amount of bubbles for the 2 parts. Is there someone out there with an other experiment that works better? Please, I'm desperate.(O:}

Scott B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Saginaw Michigan

(2001)

A. Scott, I've been out of high school since long before you were born, but as I recall . . .

You put two glass jars into the electrolyte in the experiment pan, and fill them with the electrolyte liquid. Then, keeping the open end down, you position them over the two electrodes. The hydrogen and oxygen rise into the bottles and are captured, driving the liquid out of the bottles.

It should be pretty easy to see which bottle has collected twice as much gas, but you confirm it by putting a glowing splint into the oxygen and watch it flame up, and you light the hydrogen and listen to it pop.

(2003)

Q. I am planning to do a project in electrolysis of water for generating hydrogen. what my question is how to store(with compression) hydrogen evolve from electrolysis process without using compressors.

P.KARTHIKEYAN
STUDENT-ANNA UNIVERSITY - CHENNAI, TAMILNADU, INDIA

A. Have you experimented with square wave pulses to the terminals to split the water molecule in a much faster and cheaper way?

Steve Fraser
- UK

Q. WHAT IS THE BEST EFFICIENT WAY TO SPLIT WATER TO GAIN HYDROGEN FROM SEA WATER BY ELECTROLYSIS OTHER THAN USING PLATINUM ELECTRODE?

PRAVEEN KUMAR
- CHENNAI, TAMILNADU, INDIA

March , 2013

A. Hi Praveen. Please spend a couple of paragraphs introducing yourself and your situation. We don't know if you are a pre-teen student who doesn't know where to find a platinum electrode and is looking for a quick work-around, or if you are a post doc who has spent years in this field optimizing the electrolysis of hydrogen. Thanks for your understanding.

How to find oxygen evolution efficiency of seawater electrolysis

Q. Hi, Please tell me anyone how can I find out oxygen evolution efficiency by seawater electrolysis?

K Kishor
iit k - kanpur, uttar pradesh, india

A. Hi Kishor. The shorter the question, the harder it is to answer usefully -- so if you spend a paragraph or two clarifying your question, I'm sure we can answer you better :-)

I don't know if you are seeking a textbook with the answer, some references to real world installations and the results they achieve, or an experimental procedure you can try. And I'm not sure if you impart the same meaning as I do to the word "efficiency" -- to me it's a comparison of the actual amount of oxygen liberated by electrolysis compared to the prediction from Faraday's Law of Electrolysis.

96500 coulombs (ampere-seconds) of electricity will liberate one gram equivalent weight of oxygen if the process is 100% efficient. So try your electrolysis experiment, recording the current and time, and capturing the oxygen in an inverted glass bottle. From its weight or volume, determine the quantity you captured, and compare it to the amount predicted by Faraday's Law. Good luck.