Removing Chrome Plating from Aluminum Rims

2001

I have chrome plated aluminum rims. Can I sand blast them to get the chrome of because it is peeling. I know if I sand blast it they will be rough but thats ok because I want to polish them.

Jason Favel
- Winnipeg, Canada

2001

WELL IF YOU ARE GOING TO POLISH THEM YOU BETTER NOT SAND BLAST THEM AS YOU WILL CREATE A LOT MORE WORK THAN NECESSARY AGAIN GO TO YOUR LOCAL PLATER. THEY WILL HAVE A BATH THAT WILL STRIP THE CHROME AND NICKEL OFF. WHEN YOU PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT STRIPPING THE CHROME OFF IT'S REALLY THE NICKEL THAT CAUSES THE PROBLEM. IT'S THE NICKEL THAT FLAKES OFF. ALSO THAT IS THE THICK PLATE,CHROME IS THIN AND HARDLY MEASURABLE.

ROB MCKAY
- Canada