Chrome Removal from Brass

(2001)

I would like to know what chemicals are required for the removal of chrome from brass. I am in the process of restoring some old cameras and wish to remove the chrome and paint the brass black.

Also, is there a reference for the safety precautions required for the handling of the materials? I would like to do this in a non-abrasive fashion.

David Cameron
- Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan, USA

(2003)

I would like to know how to do the same thing - with older Leica cameras. I tried muriatic acid - to no avail. I'd like to experiment with different lacquer-like paints. There is a guy in Japan who has refinished a chrome IIIg of mine to black paint that looks amazing. He somehow removes the chrome chemically. I am sure he would not be at liberty to reveal his secrets of how he refinishes cameras - they really look that good. I would just like to know how to do it myself. Let me know if you find anything out.

Winston Eggleston
- Memphis, Tennessee, USA