What or How to Fill Weld Pits Prior to Chroming

(2001)

I have fabricated a steel bumper that I need chroming. The shop I went to said they can't do it because of "pits" from the welding process. I have ground the welds as far as I can but there are still small pits, the largest about the size of a pencil tip.

Can you tell me what material or process I can use to fill the pits prior to taking it to the finisher? Is lead like for filling auto body panels acceptable, or are there better ways?

David Weitzel
- Cincinnati, Ohio

(2001)

I have used brass rod (brazing) and or silver solder (hard solder) for correcting this type of sympton in the past. Either are still able to be plated and they are easy to file, sand and polish to the level you need.

Greg Sample
- Newberg, OR