Exterior Paint Substitutes

(2001)

I am looking for a cost effective substitute for paint for the outside of buildings. Due to lead abatement requirements, the cost of painting the outside of a building has increased dramatically in some areas.

At one time, a firm in St. Louis that I cannot now locate made an epoxy product called "Steel Coat" for sealing utility poles, concrete floors, decks, etc., which worked quite well as long lasting protection from weathering, corrosive materials leaking onto concrete floors, and similar uses. I do not know if the colors available or the cost of such a coating would be appropriate for either the ornate Victorian style wooden exterior or the flat stucco exterior of the apartment houses we own, but many building owners in San Francisco and other areas would like to find an alternative to periodic painting and the spiraling costs thereof.

Albert E. Browning
- Walnut Creek, California

(2001)

Albert,

If you are looking for an epoxy type paint, why don't you give SHELL a try? Don't they have a whole range of EPON Epoxies? MONSANTO made or still makes a 2 component Urethane paint (Moclad?). Expensive. Superlative ultra glossy smooth finish. Damn difficult to remove as ordinary paint removers will bounce off. Shrinks, too, like all thermosets. The bathroom door warped so much it wouldn't shut so I had to paint the outside of the door with it to 'straighten it out'. Worked, too.

You want to check for UV stability!

Can't help you anymore ... but surely the main paint suppliers could give you some advice re longevity and weathering? I'd imagine too that with your Victorian wooden bric-a-bac you might need a paint that would breathe which thermosets such as epoxy or Moclad will NOT.

Speak to the experts. The paint mfgs. OK?

Cheers

(2007)

My questions is similar to #7849. I have a wood (2x6) parking deck at 4300 feet elev. I need a paint or other coating that will not wear and is impervious to UV.

2 cars are driving on this deck constantly. so far, the original coat of paint only lasted about 2 months.

thanks

:)

David Benedetto
home owner - Tustin, California, USA