HELP ME -- OLD BRASS BED

(2001)

Working on an old brass bed -- it is very built up with tarnish and dirt -- have tried Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and lots of rubbing and sore arms. Is there a simpler way or product?

Brenda H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Jasper, Indiana

(2002)

I used to use a product called NevrDull which was a can with a roll of cotton wadding that was soaked in some sort of product. This was recommended by the company where I bought my bed 20 years ago and always worked pretty well. The last time I went to purchase it, however, I couldn't find it, so I bought a can of Brasso or whatever at the supermarket. After a lot of frustration, I tried a different kind of cloth to apply it. The "soft, dry cloth" they recommend is worthless. I took some leftover batting that I had bought to stuff a quilt I made and used that and now it works like a charm! Still a lot of rubbing, but 5 times better using this slightly textured material.

My question is now how to spray lacquer the polished bed without making a mess of it!

Good luck to you.

Signed,

Rubbed Out in PA

Carolyn N [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Pottstown, Pennsylvania

Ed. note: You can now get Nevr-Dull [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] on line from Amazon by following the link if you wish, Carolyn. The banners at the top right of the page now link to major suppliers of brass lacquer.