23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Dimension Change in Re-finishing Black Anodize

(2001)

I am looking for information on re-finishing black anodize on 6061-T6 aluminum. I have a part that was finished and some alterations have been made to the part. I would like to have it refinished but need to know how much material I will lose in this process.

Bets Crane
- Hillsboro, NH, USA

(2001)

First you need to know the thickness of the anodic coating. Approximately 50% for type III (66% Type II) is the amount per side of material loss, if you are able to etch without affecting the base aluminum. It would be advisable to plug all threads when stripping.

Good Luck

Bill Grayson
- Santa Cruz, California, USA