Titanium or Lead Coating for Plastic

(2001)

I am looking for information regarding the application of titanium or chemical lead to plastics. In essence I want to know whether it is possible to "coat" a 5-6mm reinforced plastic sheet with either of the above metals presumably by either powder coating or metal spraying or electroless coating.

I am a novice in this area so I will appreciate any help I can get.

KEVIN CURRAN
- MELBOURNE, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA

(2001)

Titanium is not electroplateable, but lead is. You would need to metallize the plastic substrate somehow before you could lead plate it though. Titanium is depositable by vacuum (PVD) processes. I don't know whether either material is flame sprayable, but I have not heard of it. Powder coatings deposit plastic powders, which are subsequently melted to fuse into a paint-like coating; you don't deposit titanium or lead by powder coating.