-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley
    no popups, no spam
on this site
current topics
topic 7656

Japan Finished Chandelier, What Is It?



A friend of mine recently bought an antique chandelier with what is called a "Japan Finish", bands or areas of black and copper. I've tried looking it up but can find no info. If anyone has any background I would love to hear it.


Colin Morgan
-Seattle, Washington


Japan, or Japanning, is any of various glossy black lacquers or varnishes, used for coating objects. I believe it used to be a painstaking process with dozens of layers of paint added, possibly with sanding in between layers.

pooky tom pullizi signature
Tom Pullizzi
Falls Township, Pennsylvania

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

ADD a Comment to THIS thread START a NEW threadView CURRENT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.