How Can I Monitor the Plating Thickness of a Part While it is Being Plated?

(2001)

I am looking for ideas or suggestions on how to monitor the plating thickness of parts while they are being electroplated. We plate several hundred parts simultaneously, but I will only be monitoring a few pieces at various locations throughout the tank. Each part is less than an inch in diameter and several inches long.

Cost is not really a major concern at this point, so I am open to any and all suggestions. My first thought is to place a laser micrometer within a sealed titanium housing that has a window for taking measurements. This micrometer would need to be hard wired to a computer through titanium conduit. However, I am uncertain if the laser would sufficiently penetrate the solution or give false readings in the solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ronald Beauchamp, P.E.
-Escanaba, Michigan, USA