Aluminum Prep Prior to Chrome Plating

(2001)

Gentlemen,

I have a question in regards to prep work required before chrome plating. I have a cast aluminum motorcycle wheel hub which had been previously chrome plated (quite poorly I must add) I recently blasted off all of the chrome plating and would like to have the part chrome plated once again. My question is this, the part has some tiny pits and irregularities on its surface, what can I do to smooth the part before the plating process so that I will end up with a smooth, uniform finish ? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jim Smith
- Warren, Michigan

(2001)

MOST LIKELY YOUR PITS GO FAR IN THE ALLOY IF YOU TRY TO SAND THEM OUT THEY MAY GET LARGER. YOU SHOULD HAVE FAITH IN YOUR LOCAL PLATTER. JUST TELL HIM THAT YOU WANT A COPPER BUFF ON THE PIECE.THIS PROCESS WILL FILL IN THE PITS .THIS PROCESS MAY HAVE TO BE REPEATED SEVERAL TIMES TO ACHIEVE PERFECTION. DON'T QUAFF AT THE PRICE HE QUOTES OR YOU WILL GET THE SAME JOB THE FIRST GUY GOT ON THE PIECE.

ROB MCKAY
- VANCOUVER, CANADA