Use of Sodium Hydroxide - University Student

(2001)

Hello, my name is Jason Chatoor. I am a second year Chemical Engineering student at the University of the West Indes. I hope you don't mind a slightly off-topic post, but I am currently doing a project to find new or expanding uses in process industry for Sodium Hydroxide. If I'm not too far off on my game, I believe NaOH is used in the finishing industry. I would appreciate any information you can supply on the relevance of NaOH in the industry along with any budding industrial uses of NaOH if possible.

Much Thanks,

Jason

Jason Chatoor
University of the West Indes - St. Agustine, Trinidad, West Indes

(2001)

NaOH is used to provide the alkalinity in most alkaline and cyanide plating baths; it is used as a major ingredient in alkaline cleaning solutions; it is used to neutralize acidic wastewater. It is extremely relevant to metal finishing.

However, I would expect its usage to be slowly withering rather than growing. Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature