Using a Pen Plating System to Bond Gold-Plated Parts

(2001)

Hi, all

I'm looking at a pen plating system to apply 24K gold to two gold-plated components to bond them together. Both surfaces are plated with 24K gold, 15-25 microinches in thickness. I am currently bonding the parts with Loctite 4014 adhesive and would like to improve the method. If anyone has had experience using a pen plating system for a similar application, I would like to hear about your results.

[name deleted for privacy due to age of posting]

Using a secondary plating operation to bond two surfaces

(2001)

Does anyone know if it is possible to join two gold-plated surfaces using a secondary gold plating operation? I would like to eliminate adhesives in my bonding process and was wondering if this method might work. All information is greatly appreciated.

Gary Adams
- Palo Alto, California, USA

(2002)

Try gold micron size powder, just make a paint with alcohol, cover both surfaces, put together, compress and heat to above 200 °C (The higher the better, but generally depends on powder particle size and defects). It should work, I tried this technique on silver.

Vladimir Shvarts
- Atlanta, Georgia