Eliminating Old Musty Smell

(2001)

I have a dresser that was my mother's that I would like to refinish but it has an "old, musty" smell to the drawers. I would like to know what is the best was to remove this odor before I refinish this piece. Can you give me some help, or suggestions, as to what to do?

Deborah Stenzel
- Greenville, SC USA

Ozone Generator

(2001)

Try washing both the inside and outside of each drawer piece, and inside all the hidden areas of the drawer slides carefully and thoroughly, using a household cleaner like Mr. Clean [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], in a strong, double the normal strength solution, followed by a wipe down using clear water, until no suds show. Dry well with absorbent toweling as you finish each piece, (to avoid raising the wood grain). When completely air dry after a couple of days, use a soft cloth to apply a wood restorer product such as Murphy's Oil Soap [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], which will leave a faint wood scent. Always work with plenty of ventilation, like outdoors, if possible. Read the directions before using, as there may be other suggestions for using such products for your problem, also. This has worked for me. Good Luck.

W. Carl Erickson
- Rome, NY , USA