Nylon Coating in Autoclaves

(2001)

Q. Our company needs to Nylon Powder Coat 304 Stainless parts that go into surgical sterilization cases. These parts may be exposed to extended ultrasound or plasma cleaning. They may be exposed to temperatures in excess of the recommended 273 °F (steam and ambient) and may be exposed to chemicals with pHs up to 13.

Also, is there a recommended surface roughness needed prior to the application of the primer and powder?

Steve Yaeger
- Avondale, Pennsylvania USA

(2001)

A. Steve- I'm not sure nylon will help you out here.

I use the autoclave at 135 °C for ten minutes to help me strip off the nylon. Comes off fairly easy. Due to Bioburden tests performed, we do not use a primer. Not that it failed with it, just that we didn't test for it. I'm now exploring e-coat options.

Tom Greifenkamp
- Cincinnati, Ohio USA