Chemical treatments to color steel surfaces

Jax Green Patina

(2000)

My hobby is making steel wrought iron furniture and the normal way I have been finishing the surface is paint or powder coating. Is there anyone out there that can help me with some information on how to color steel with various chemicals to give different colours or textures. One example would be using a mixture of chemicals to give a gun blue/black surface like that on firearms. I have seen various colours used on metal such as a rusty surface, patina, or green mottled effect.

I have been to the local library and book stores and cannot find any information, probably due to not knowing the word which describes the staining of metal surfaces. Hope someone can help me out. Thank you

E. Dennis Davey
- Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

(2007)

Greetings,

Looking for something to color mild steel a green color ?

Thanks Sincerely, Greg Whitmire

greg whitmire
metal artist - post falls Idaho