ALODINE vs. IRIDITE

(2000)

Q. What is Alodine and how does it differ from Iridite (conversion coating for Aluminum)

Would appreciate your reply.

We are a plating and metal finishing firm in London Ontario Canada and have encountered this question numerous times and have not been able to find a definitive answer.

ROBERT WENDT
plating and metal finishing - London, Ont. Canada

(2000)

A. They are both on the QPL-81706 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] qualified products list for Mil-C-5541 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] conversion coating, Robert.

The basic difference is simply that Alodine is a trademark of Henkel (formerly Parker+Amchem) whereas Iridite is a trademark of Macdermid (formerly Allied Chemical).

Is one REALLY different than the other, or BETTER than the other? Well, is Coke better than Pepsi? Is a Chevy really better than a Ford? Clearly, each company's salespeople would claim that theirs is better, and there are even people who do not have an axe to grind who feel that one is better than the other in some way.

But if I were running a shop would I put in both? No. Rather, I would tell my customers that the one I was using was a fully qualified, top of the line, MIL-C-5541 conversion coating process.

August 5, 2008 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I would like to know what is the different between Alodine and Iridite?

Linda Lo
buyer - San Jose, California

A. Hi, Linda. As you see, some questions are perennial, so we appended your inquiry to a thread that answers it instead of starting a duplicate thread. Good luck.

Q. Dear Sir
Can anybody send me TDS AND MILL TEST CERTIFICATE OF ALODINE NR 6012, MADE BY HENKEL?

FAYYAZ AHMED [returning]
- Punjab, Pakistan

A. Hi Fayyaz.

I can tell you that NR 6012 is a hexavalent no-rinse chromate conversion coating for use on strip lines. But you would need to contact Henkel for certifications. I could be in error, but I believe that certifications must follow a link from the purchase, i.e., that you cannot copy someone else's certifications. Good luck.

Q. Dear Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
Can you please send me more detail and literature for NR 6012.

FAYYAZ AHMED [returning]
- Punjab, Pakistan

A. Hi Fayyaz.

Sorry, but I have no such info. You need to contact Henkel for Alodine NR 6012 info and literature as it is their proprietary product.