Ferricyanide Removal / Destruction for disposal

2000

Due to the regulations on the ferricyanide in the Alodine 1200s the company I work for has switched over to Alodine 600. However, this means that I must dispose of the 1200s and it's dragout, before doing this I must neutralize the ferricyanide within the 1200s. I am planning on neutralizing the ferricyanide with 1.5 lb of Zinc Sulfate per 0.1% of potassium ferricyanide. Does anyone know a titration to find out the % of ferricyanide within the 1200s? Or is there a better method for removing the ferricyanide?

Benjamin Curto
- Ponderay, Idaho, USA

2000

That sounds like it should work fine. I'd suggest the following:

1) Reduce the ferricyanide to ferrocyanide with sodium metabisulfite first.

2) The lowest levels obtainable with this technique result when the iron cyanides are precipitated at pH 6 - 7, then the residual zinc and other metals removed in a second step.

3) If manganese is not regulated in your area, it may be substituted for the zinc and simplify the treatment process.

Good Luck,