-----

"Stripping away old paint - what lacquer to prevent rust?"

2000

I have an old Steelcase filing cabinet that I want to strip of paint and leave in a shiny metal finish. What is the best way to strip off the paint? What sort of lacquer should be used to prevent rust? Can anybody help me?

Erich Heilemann
- Charlestown, RI
^

2000

There are several suppliers of lacquer listed in our Directory of Products & Services / Chemicals & Equipment.

You can try commercial paint strippers available from Home Depot and such; I don't see why they wouldn't work.

But remember that one reason why such items are painted instead of lacquered in the first place is that there is no guarantee that the raw metal will be pretty. Buffing should help though. Another reason is that a layer of lacquer isn't much rust protection. Good luck.

^