Removing salt stains from corrugated iron

(2000)

we have several sheets of corrugated iron that are salt stained.Has anyone any ideas how to clean this at home.

elizabeth kerkhof
- australia

(2000)

Because you noted that you are a homeowner-hobbyist rather than an industry professional, I would want to start by making sure that when you call something 'corrugated iron' that you are sure that is what it really is.

If you are actually referring to galvanized steel corrugated roofing material, what you are looking at may be 'white rust' (the zinc corroding), not salt stains. You can search this site for other letters about 'white rust', but I don't think there is any way to remove it and restore the galvanized zinc finish; I think you'll need to paint it.

(2004)

If I were in your situation I would use full strength vinegar white or apple cider with baking soda [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or salt. I would dry the metal and seal the corrugated iron after scrubbing the iron with the vinegar solution. I would use a spar varnish (outdoor/exterior) to seal the metal. Good luck!

JM Davis
- Dallas, Texas, USA