-----

"Needs help with electroplating problems"

2000

I am working on electroplating as hobby. I am facing some problems in electroplating. Anybody can help me?

1. What are the complexing agents?
2. What are the stabilizing agents?
3. What are the functions in electroplating?
4. How I process the given solutions step by step in the formula given below?

CYANIDE-FREE SULFITE SYSTEM TYPICAL FORMULATIONS

Constituent Concentration g/l

Gold 10
Metal Complex 5
Stabilizer 15
Free Sulfite 50
Complexor 5 +
pH 9 to 10
Temperature 95 to 130 E
Current Density 10 Amps./sq. ft.

I shell be very thankful to this cooperation.

MOHAMMAD RIZWAN KHAN
INTERNATIONAL TRADING CO, - KARACHI-PAKISTAN
^

2000

Hi Mohammad. Gold is a very noble metal which would tend to form an immersion deposit on whatever object you are trying to electroplate. The complexer serves to complex or chelate the gold so that it's apparent concentration is low enough to prevent immersion deposits. Stabilizing agents are simply materials that discourage the solution from spontaneously decomposing.

It is probably impractical and unnecessary for a hobbyist to determine the actual chemicals used as complexers and stabilizers. But the vendor who supplied the technical data sheet that you are quoting from can supply you with the necessary proprietary ingredients.

^