Help! stainless steel sinks have discolored

(2000)

I have discoloring stainless steel sinks...Help, dark marks stains, etc. rental apt. What can I clean them with.

Onalee olson
- Mn. ,usa

(2001)

We have a similar problem during annealing (1000 °C). Black stains that look like rinsing stains. The only solution seems to grind the sinks, or if you are a deep drawer grind the sheets prior to drawing. Can you provide more information on your problem?

Peter Caenen
- Hasselt, Belgium

(2001)

Stainless sinks are not using as much chrome as years ago and therefore tend to rust. We have the same problem with other stainless. There are many cleaners from oxidizers to citric acids that work.

Regards Tom

Tom Fischer
- Fargo, North Dakota, USA

(2007)

Cleaner for copper,brass,stainless steel etc.,a paste of ketchup,1/2 cup, 2 TBS vinegar, and1-2 TBS salt. Let set on surface for at least 30-45 minutes then rinse. Repeat if necessary, or go to just vinegar&salt; to remove spots,or to soak small items .another recipe is to use flour to make a paste instead of ketchup, but I prefer ketchup as it doesn't neturalize the acids. Yet another is to use a lemon dipped in salt to rub item, but why waste a good lemon and the ketchup will work on its own; adding vinegar and salt increases how well it works. Now all I need is a good homemade sealer to keep cleaned items looking sharp.

Good Luck,

Byron L Milburn
- Kingman, Kansas, USA

This really works. We just moved into a beautiful home that was only 2 years old and the only thing wrong with it was the etched stainless sink around the drain. I tried this and it really worked, now my sink is perfect. Thank You

Christina Witt
- Stephens City, Virginia