Titanium / chromium nitride coatings

(2000)

I'm a student doing some research into different types of surface finishing. Does anyone have any experience of titanium or chromium nitride coatings onto nearly pure iron? I believe this is possible using a plasma deposition process.

I'm interested in a surface which will be able to resist long term low speed abrasive forces, against a fairly soft surface. What sort of thickness of coat will I need? What is the deposition rate? Is the coat ductile (will bend with the substrate)?

I understand that the process is performed hot. About what temperature will the substrate reach?

John Persaud
- Reading, Berkshire, England.