Restoring Interior Plastic in auto

(2000)

I am needing to restore the interior plastic in a '78 Pontiac Phoenix. It's not a classic car so there are no sources for after market parts that I am aware of. The plastic is severely deteriorated. Can I sand off the top "skin", rebuild it with an aerosol spray, and then paint or dye the parts? If this is possible what product do you recommend to build the plastic back up and what should I use to put the proper color into the piece? If this is not possible, do you have any other suggestions for restoring the pieces?

Thanks, Russell

Russell W. Couch
- Venus, Texas, USA

(2005)

The best way I have found to restore old interior pieces is to sand the top coat off with 80 grit sandpaper. If any pieces are broken, superglue them back together from the back. If there are any deep scrapes/ cuts/ gashes, etc. use body filler to fill them in, then sand again with 120 grit sandpaper. You can use a spray texture, as you will mess up the factory one with all this sanding, or you can leave it a smooth surface. The best way to get the color back is to dye it, because paint quickly scrapes off. I prefer the interior dye that Select Products sells, but any will do.

Taylor Lewis
- Austin, Texas, United States