-----

"POWDER COATING SIGNS"

2000

I'm interested in starting a business in aluminium signs and then I would like to powder coat them.

My problem is that I have never done powder coating before. Would it be hard to learn or buy items needed to do powder coating.Also I will need to be able to do three or four different colours on one sign.

Any information would be gratefully appreciated

Sincerely yours

STEVE SANKEY
- AUSTRALIA
^

2000

Mr. Sankey,

All businesses have this in common: you always have competitors, and if you want to be highly successful you have to outperform them.

Is it is hard to learn powder coating? It is similar to learning to play a piano. The reservoir of knowledge and experience you require to get started is not vast, and powder coating does present fewer complicated environmental problems than painting or plating, so it is probably a better entry point.

You might start by picking up some powder coating books from the annual Powder Coating Conferences, or as listed on our "must-have" book page. As for the equipment, several sources are listed right here in our Directory of Equipment--just type "powder" into the Search box.

^

2000

In addition to the above mentioned sources, you can take a look at the Powder Coating Institute web-site at www.powdercoating.org

Other great sources for general info are the various powdercoating trade magazines such as industrial paint and coatings (www.ippmagazine.com) or powder coating magazine.

Greg Walls
- Reading, Pennsylvania
^