Hex Chrome Bans in Europe

(2000)

Can anyone point me in the direction of legislation existing or pending which will restrict the sale, in Germany, of zinc plated components finished using a CrVI passivation.

As a major OEM we need some heads up on possible prohibitions or restrictions.

Paul

Paul Rathband
NCR - UK

(2000)

Paul,

I am an engineer at a major Tier I supplier and have been doing a lot of work on this issue. The hex chrome ban started from the "End-of-Life Vehicles" (ELV) Directive made by the European Union Parliament in Brussels. Copies of this directive are accessible to the general public.

I have also met with people from all major OEMs, and there are now specifications written declaring that hex chrome will be banned. Check a updated version of your "restricted materials" list, and hex chrome will be on there.

Communication about this big issue has not been very good. Most people do not know about it still. Many people are going to be very surprised to find out all of their favorite platings are going to soon be banned.

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan

(2000)

Paul,

Please see letter 5480 in which I provided details on the European Directive.

Peter Weber
DACRAL S.A. - Creil, France