PCB Finishes and Shelf Life

(2000)

I am trying to find statistics about the shelf life of various printed circuit board finishes. We are interested in data on how the different finishes affect the shelf life. I have been unsuccessful in searching the web. Especially interested with HASL, Immersion Tin, Immersion Gold, Hard Gold and OSP.

James Hampshire
- Ivyland PA, USA

(2000)

I'm somewhat surprised you couldn't find anything. The EPA's got a program going on to evaluate alternative surface finishes for PWB's through the Design for the Environment project. This program is compiling exactly the information you're looking for, and copies of their report are free for the asking. Search their website; I'd tell you exactly where to go if the rules let me.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

Ed. note: You're welcome to paste a copy of that report here, James. We'd be more than pleased to make it available to our readers.

(2000)

Thanks, Ted. The URL to order is: www.epa.gov/ncepihom/catalog.html

The report is "Implementing Cleaner Printed Wiring Board Technologies: Surface Finishes"

The document number is EPA744R00002

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida