-----

"Ceramic surface coating"

2000

I am looking for a ceramic type surface coating for use in our manufacturing process. We manufacture solid cast iron electric stove plates. During our manufacture process 3 elements are pressed into radial grooves on the underside of the stove plate , they are embedded in a ceramic cement, sometimes during this operation the element is pushed into contact with the stove plate causing a short . What I had in mind was to coat the grooves with a ceramic coating to insulate the plate from the element thus preventing electrical shorts .

I require this coating to have good refractory properties as well as excellent adhesion to both the cast iron and the ceramic cement .

We are manufacturing about 2000 plates a day and there are a large amount of plates that clear the inspection bays and fail only when the element is inserted into the plate causing high cost wastage. I need to try to stop this kind of wastage in our small plant.

Craig Biddlecombe
- Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
^

2000

If you coat the steel with a glass, which may be very practical, you will not have solved your manufacturing problem, which is proper alignment of the grid during sealing of the cement.

This will add an expensive component, and then the glass will be expected to do all the heat transfer, probably causing hot spots.

tom & pooky   toms signature
^