Plastic Painting Parameters

(2000)

Hello: I am engineer in charge of parts quality and need to know about paint process( our subcontractors does it).

My industry is consumer electronics plastics (PS) with Waterbase paints.

I am trying to put together a check sheet for when a trial is made with new paint.

I am thinking of items like:
Viscosity
pot pressure
oven temp
oven time

But I would really like some third party opinion as which are critical factors to check at testing time for process.

Eduardo Carnalla
consumer products - Tijuana,BC,Mexico

(2006)

For auditing a customer source, you should need what you have already stated. However, film thickness is your most important item for quality, especially if you are auditing an outside supplier. This will make or break your adhesion, colour and the performance properties of your painted product. Paint Viscosity and fluid flow at gun are most important for the painting process. With the wrong paint vis. or fluid flow you could get low film build or too much paint which would cause runs. Oven temp, dwell time in oven are key to your curing and ultimately a good part.

Your Pot pressure, atomizing air and spray patterns are important for new trails.
Hope this helps.

Steve Campbell
automotive interior plastics - Kitchener, Ontario, Canada