Repair of metal to be chromed

(2000)

Hi guys I stumbled across this site in the hope I could find a solution to my problem.

When restoring an old motorcycle I needed to find a way to fix the rust marks in a fuel tank that I wanted to chrome plated.

A friend said that there was a solder type metal that I could put on with a soldering iron and it could be dressed back to a polished state and chromed over.

Any help will be appreciated.

Carl Askew
Classic Japanese Motorcycle Spares - Sydney Australia

(2000)

Although you are talking about decorative chrome plating, a great article on this subject is "Defects in Hard Chromium Deposits: Detection, Prevention and Repair" by Chessin, Knill, and Seyb and published in Plating & Surface Finishing, March 1983. Copies are presumably available from A.E.S.F. if your library can't get them for you.

I don't know of anything you put on with a soldering iron, but I think the standard method the plating shop would employ would be to cyanide copper plate, then acid copper plate and mush buff to fill any rust pits, before nickel-chrome plating.

I doubt that any good would come out of contaminating the steel surface with some other metal before sending it to the plating shop.