-----

"Chrome additive"

2000

I am in the copper engraving field of printing and on long runs of printing we chrome face our copper dies to make them last longer. I have been reading on some of the dangers with chroming and we are looking into maybe sending our dies out to be chromed.

I have spoken with a few bumper shops here in town and have been told that they can't do what I need. I have however noticed that a few of them have no exhaust scrubber on their systems and when I asked them why they didn't have one I was told that they used an additive that reduced the fumes. Is there such a thing? Where would I get it?Thank you.

A.J. Brinkley
- Smyrna Ga USA
^

2000

What they are using and referring to is called a fume suppressant.It's usually a fluorocarbon that reduces the surface tension of the chrome plating bath so that the evolving hydrogen bubbles have less capacity to carry plating solution out.

You can talk to DuPont or any local distributor of plating supplies.

Please don't read this response as an affirmation that the use ofa fume suppressant without an exhaust scrubber is adequate because:

1). First you have to determine if you are a 'decorative' chrome shop or a 'hard chrome' shop.
2). You not only need to use the suppressant, but follow the rules for testing and recording your results.
3). Rules are in a state of flux, and local codes can override federal rules anyway.

^