No registration, no passwords; no pop-up ads -- just aloha, fun, & authoritative answers.
As an eBay Partner & Amazon Affiliate we receive compensation for qualifying purchases.

pub  Where the world gathers for

-----

How to Remove Zinc Phosphate from Frying Pan

Q. I am in the process of seasoning a cast iron pan. I overdid the removal of the old , organic coating making the surface too slick for proper adhesion of the seasoning (which will be baked on consumable oil). So I used some metal etch by POR15 [adv: Por-15 MetalPrep on eBay or Amazon] to solve that problem and results are good. However the bottle says a coating of zinc phosphate will be left behind. I washed the pan in soap and water, then baking soda soak and scrub before the metal etch dried. I read that zinc phosphate can decompose in water. Any other suggestions on how to be certain the zinc phosphate is removed, ideally without any more toxic chemicals?

Anthony Siciliano
- Redding, Connecticut

A. Hi Anthony,
Zinc dissolves in mild acids, so I would scour it with vinegar.

(No "dead threads" here! If this page isn't currently on the Hotline your Q, A, or Comment will restore it)

About/Contact  -  Privacy Policy  -  ©1995-2024 finishing.com, Pine Beach, New Jersey, USA  -  about "affil links"