Get personalized metal finishing help, no charge!

Tin plating cast iron meat grinders

(-----) May 2, 2022

Q. Hi friends, I want to ask if you have any experience with tinning meat grinders made of cast iron. The requirement is to achieve a layer of 30 microns also in the hole, which requires the use of an auxiliary anode (see picture).

61442-1b   61442-1c   61442-1a  

It still seems that the current distribution is not ok. In the hole I have 30 microns and on the surface 80 microns and somewhere unplated places. How would you design a plating rack? Is there a trick for pickling - smoothing the surface?

Paul Kana
- - Uherské Hradistĕ, Czech Republic
^

A. Hi Paul. I am not as all sure that electroplating is a good approach for tinning meat grinders. I think hot dip tinning is the traditional method and will be faster and easier. Please see thread 15249.

^