Get personalized metal finishing help, no charge!

Issues black anodizing & clear anodizing sandwich panels

(-----) May 5, 2022

Q. Hi Im Nicki - I have lots of issues with 'sandwich plating' in alu 6082T6, this only comes to light when we Black Anodise or natural anodise the part. What is the best solution for this? My material supplier tells me the material is within spec and my customer rejects the parts.

Nicki G Jeffery
- Kent, UK
^

A. Hi Nicki. I'm not certain what you mean by 'sandwich plating'. Is the article a building panel or something similar with 2 aluminum skins and a foam plastic core in between? "Lots of issues" is pretty vague as well :-)

But in general it is hard to color match large anodized items, especially in black or natural. Do you anodize any other items that are not sandwich panels, and are you having trouble with them as well? Please name one or two of the issues you are having. Is is possible that contamination from the core is causing problems, but we don't yet have a reason to believe that that is the problem.

^