Get personalized metal finishing help, no charge!

Aluminum anodizing using titanium basket cathode

(-----) May 11, 2022

Q. I would like to add an additional cathode to my sulfuric anodize tank. We currently have 2, one on each side of the tank with 2 copper work bars across the tanks. I'd like to put another cathode between the copper bars. Is there any reason I couldn't use some extra titanium baskets I have and put scrap aluminum wire etc in the baskets? Similar to electroplating applications?

Shelby Wolters
- Garland, Texas
^

A. The answer to your question is YES you can add any conductive material as a cathode, even copper, the real question is why? Since titanium is much lower in conductivity, the current will most likely flow through the aluminum. This will probably create more aluminum in the anodizing bath but if your production is only for your parts then you may be willing to accept the finish.

drew nosti
Drew Nosti, CEF
Anodize USA
Ladson, South Carolina
anodizeusa1
^

Q. I have two cathodes now on either side of the tank. We also have two work bars going across the top of the tank. Therefor, one workbar is closer to one cathode than the other one so we were getting uneven plating/colors. The new 3rd cathode in the middle will equal out the distance from parts to cathodes. I'm hoping this helps us get better black anodize results.

Shelby Wolters [returning]
- Garland, Texas
^