It's Tuesday 01/18/22 & your Q or A is Welcome.
Chime right in! (a "no registration" site)

-----

Bedliner-like coating on my automobile frame

Q. Hi my name is Jeff. I am restoring a 1967 Pontiac GTO. It looks like a spray-in bed liner was used to paint the frame. Would you have any suggestions on how to chemically remove the spray in bed liner so I can repaint it?

Jeff Leonas
- Condon Montana
^

Rubberized Undercoating

Affiliate Link
(commissions from your purchases make finishing.com possible)

A. Hi Jeff.
Dealer-applied extras have probably been with us as long as there have been cars. In the 1950's and 1960's "undercoating" was one of them -- the application of a tar-like coating to the underside of the car as a corrosion preventative. Of course, there have been arguments since way back then as to whether they are effective in reducing corrosion or they increase it.

These days frames are galvanized/galvannealed and then electrocoated, making 'undercoating' a rarity without actually resolving the question of whether it helped or hurt. There are probably examples of each. There are firms like Ziebart who still offer it.

I don't know the best solvent to remove it, but I would concur that it's past it useful life and should be removed and the frame refinished.

^