Producing hardened concrete nails

(-----) July 26, 2021

Q. I want to produce the hardened wire nails.
I want to know about steel grades, machines, furnace, and heat treatment process.

Jawad Zaghal
- Palestine Hebron
^

A. Hi cousin Jawad.

I'm sure that medium or high carbon steel would be used so that it can be hardened, and I'm confident that the hardening involves at least heating the nails to some degree of red hot, then suddenly quenching them in oil or water. After that, ideally they would be tempered, but I don't know if that's the actual process for this commodity product as I have seen them break from hammer impact, so perhaps not.

This might be a good Senior thesis or Masters' thesis, which is to say that people are welcome to help you, but the subject is perhaps too broad to be addressed in the couple of paragraphs appropriate to a public forum. Maybe experienced readers can suggest appropriate books or study materials though.

^