World's #1 on-line resource since 1989-----
Cathodic Electrophoretic Lacquer -- How to get matte black CEDMay 17, 2021
Q. I want to make a matte black coating with the Cathodic Electrophoretic Lacquer method. I tried the matte making powder, I could not get the matte I wanted. The product I want to cover is the kitchen, bathroom faucets and accessories, can you help me with this? Is there any method or chemical that I can coat matte black color?
- Miami Florida
A. Hi Mike. I don't know the answer but I think more data will be needed including:
• Substrate info -- zinc diecast? brass? other?
• Substrate condition -- are you bead blasting the surface to a matte finish before CED? or are you trying to convert a highly polished finish to matte via application of a CED coating?
• Paint system -- epoxy? polyester? other?
• Additive -- what is this 'matte-making powder'? Is it sold by the manufacturer of your paint, or by a third party, or something you formulated from info in a book? Sorry, I'm not acquainted with it.
• Coloration -- is the paint itself black, or do you add black coloration as a post dye?
• Not what you wanted -- although this is clear to you, it's not to me. Can you explain a bit about what you got vs what you were looking for?
Luck & Regards,
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
Aloha -- an idea worth spreading
finishing.com - Pine Beach, New Jersey