-----

"Need a conductive material bonded to stainless steel"

Q. I have a stainless steel cylinder it is capped at both ends and hollow of course. The stainless steel is food grade and I need to make the exterior of it electronically conductive. I'm trying to find out what material will bond to the stainless steel and provide this conductivity I need. And I'm seeking information on how to achieve the bonding process. Anybody has any ideas it would deeply be appreciated. Thank you.

61229-1

Charlton Carrender
- Reno, nevada
^

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]

A. Hi. There are about 20 plateable metals, and they are all conductive (although not necessarily suitable as electrical contacts). They can all be electroplated onto stainless steel after an initial Wood's Nickel Strike.

Nickel plating is relatively conductive and generally suitable for electrical contacts (you see it on 'chargers' for all sorts of electronic devices) and it's reasonably inexpensive. But nickel would not be adequate for low voltage low current digital signals, for that you would need gold plating (as you see on video game cartridges, smart phone accessories, and circuit board edge connectors).

^

A. The last time I looked, stainless steel is already electrically conductive.

^