-----

"What types of plating can be done in a barrel?"

Q. I understand barrel plating to be the most cost effective way to plate parts. Can someone post a list of the different all the different types of plating that can be done via a barrel process. Example(black oxide, zinc, etc) I would like to see all the options possible via barrel plating.

Bryce Hubel
- Chicago, Illinois
^

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]

A. Hi Bryce. I'm not sure that there is any type of electroplating at all that cannot be done in a barrel.
• Chrome plating is certainly difficult;
• Barrel anodizing is actually done in a basket rather than a barrel;
• I have never seen Iron barrel plating; I suspect it's troublesome but possible;
• Aluminum plating is only done by one USA shop and whether they can do it in a barrel or not I don't know.

The size, shape & type of part is probably a much more important factor than the particular plating process.

Abstract questions are usually virtually impossible to answer. Tell us your full situation please.

^