Home

Public
Forum
SEARCH  🔍
This Site
Education, Aloha, & Fun
A roundtable with 60,000 topics and a seat for you

Problem of Brass finish burning off during sintering furnacing

Q. Good Afternoon,
My company is trying a new process, looking to get a shiny finish. We are using brass over the top of nickel on a ring, then furnacing the ring at 1550 °F in a reducing atmosphere. We start up 100% hydrogen, then switch to nitrogen for the cooling process. We are having all the brass burn off the part, and are left with a shiny appearance that looks almost like chrome. I am attempting to figure out exactly what is happening, and why my nice brass finish is disappearing.

Matt

Matthew Casey
- Akron Ohio

Jobshops Capital Equip. & Install'n Chemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, Software Environmental Compliance