World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Zinc-gold plating on stainless steel

Q. Hello, my name is Daniel from an elevator company.
One of our customers requires stainless steel sheet metal parts with a structural polish to be zinc-gold plated. The end result is a structured gold looking finish on stainless steel. Our customer states that this is a hot dip process of a zinc/gold alloy, which I find hard to believe. The layer must be thin to reveal the structure underneath. At the moment any information would be helpful. The parts are large pieces up to 10 feet long. A price estimate would be nice on a coated surface area basis.
Thanks, Daniel

Daniel Tuerler
- Bern, Switzerland

your name here

A. Hi Daniel. I believe that there are one or more serious misunderstandings in these communications :-(

'Plausible guesses' of what is wanted won't help the cause except to the extent that a guess might facilitate you and your customer communicating better ... but my guess is that your customer wants the stainless steel to be colored to a gold tone via a PVD application of titanium nitride or zirconium nitride (ZrN), and the description morphed to zinc (Zn). I seriously doubt that zinc plating or hot dipping will offer anything to stainless steel sheets except trouble :-)