World's most popular finishing site / Internet's friendliest corner

Polishing aluminum deposited on glass to 0.2 nm

Q. I am depositing aluminium on glass substrate (Bluestar microscopic slides). Now I want to polish the aluminium substrate up to the surface roughness .3nm. What polishing material should I use and of what grit? Or is it not possible to achieve it?

ASHAMONI NEOG
Ph.D. Scholar - INDIA

A. Hi ASHAMONI. While anything is possible, my limited understanding is that there is no technology for achieving such polishing. My quick googling and a few miniutes of reading seems to indicate that even specialized techniques have only achieved 0.7 nm on aluminum.