Aluminum Hardness Testing -- and fast!

(2000)

We have 120 thousand parts of aluminum (6061-T6) approx. 1.800" OD with a .500" through bore.

I am looking for a fast method of screening these for a hardness of 55 Rockwell on the B scale minimum.

I do have a bench type Rockwell machine but, I need something a lot faster than that.

Don Lowe
Tampa, Florida, USA

(2000)

There are several portable hardness testers that would probably work for your application. Many of these are very fast and some have computer interface for data reporting. I would try contacting a local distributor of nondestructive testing equipment and supplies. Good luck.

larry hanke
Larry Hanke
materials testing laboratory
Minneapolis, Minnesota

(2003)

We have made many automatic and inline systems including some for aluminum. I don't have any info on the application, but some of our testers are famous for being the fastest and amenable to fast manual or automatic applications. We would be happy to supply some names in the industry at places like Alcoa.

James Blair
testing instruments - Southamotin, Pennsylvania