Prep of galvanized for painting

(2000)

I'm a fence and gate contractor searching for a practical,effective method of prep. for galvanized chain link gates prior to painting. I am headed to the local library to look up ASTM 2092.However, I am hoping someone can tell me a tried and true method based on their own experience. Is a cider vinegar bath adequate or of any use? A mechanical prep is not practical with chain link mesh and we want to avoid Muriatic Acid [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] treatment. Any thoughts?

Kayne Stewart
fence services - Lakewood Colorado

(2000)

May I suggest 7-8% v/v commercial phosphoric acid cold for 5 mins? Add a small amount of wetting agent. Rinse with clean water and dry.To prime use a PVB blast primer suitably pigmented. Force dry if stove painting. R

Roger Bridger
- Croydon, UK