-----

"Melchior"

Q. I am considering purchasing an item which is made from Melchior. Is this commonly used for 'stainless steel' ware in the US or other countries? Is is safe or are there other considerations when choosing an item made from this material?
Thanks for your help.

Peter Bunitsky
home owner - East Syracuse, New York, USA
^

A. Hi Peter. No, Melchior is not used in stainless steel. Stainless steel contains iron, chromium, sometimes nickel, and small amounts of other metals.

Melchior

Melchior is mostly copper, but due to its nickel content it is silvery in appearance rather than brass or bronze colored. USA quarters and dimes seem to be made of a rather similar alloy. I don't know what kind of "item" you are thinking of, but Melchoir has been used for flatware and I personally haven't heard of any researchers railing against its dangers. Good luck.

^