-----

"Sharpen multiple stainless tips sitting on a plate"

March 13, 2018 (ed. note: sorry, not posted until May 14)

Q. I'm posting to ask for suggestions in terms of sharpening 316L stainless steel solid pillars.
The tips currently measure 300 µm in diameter, and I would like to have something around 100 µm. The tapered pillars are 5 mm in length, and the diameter of the bottom is 1.7 mm. The separation between pillars vary from 2-6 mm , and sitting on a plate measuring 21 mm.

Cas Sun
- USA
^

A. Cas

If the 21 mm plate is also 316L (or another compatible material), I would look at localized electropolishing to selectively remove material from the tips. The process might require an engineered cathode.

Willie Alexander
- Green Mountain Falls, Colorado
^